Integral skin foams for demanding applications
Polyurethanes are unique materials in the automotive industry because specific combinations of raw materials can be chosen to tailor the desired end-product.
This enables designers and car manufacturers to adjust the material properties to meet the exact performance demands and fulfil the quality requirements for specific end-use applications.
- Seat foam
- Cushion overlay (fabric backing)
- Carpet backing
- Door panels
- Sound absorption and vibration dampening
- Steering wheels
- Energy absorbers
- Airbag covers
- Window encapsulation
Polyurethanes are Sustainable Materials - Their Benefits in the Automotive Industry are Unmatched.
- Polyurethanes are lightweight materials: Polyurethane applications lower the environmental impact of cars by reducing vehicle weight.
- In the last five years the density of polyurethane for major applications has been reduced by 30 to 40 per cent while still maintaining the same mechanical properties.
- Seating foam, for instance, has one of the lowest densities of any plastic material used in a car: 0.03 to 0.05 g/cm3.
- Polyurethane foam in headliners is another good example with a density of 0.02 to 0.04 g/cm3.
- Polyurethanes reduce noise for passengers: the excellent sound-absorbing and vibration-dampening qualities of polyurethanes contribute to higher comfort and safety levels.
- Polyurethanes provide safety and comfort: The excellent shock absorption properties of polyurethane in, for example, bumpers and dashboards ensure the safety of drivers and passengers.
- Polyurethanes provide durability: polyurethanes are not prone to corrosion. Throughout their life, they ensure stability even under severe conditions.
- Polyurethanes are recyclable: They can be recycled through a range of approved technologies.
IFS produce a range of polyurethane systems designed for use in Automotive applications.
- You will find IFS products in vehicles such as Land Rover, Ford, Jaguar and Rolls Royce.
- When top quality parts with high definition and fast cycle times are required, there will certainly be something suitable on the Enviromould range of materials.
Leather-covered moulded items
Fast-reacting energy management foam
Fine grain detail in automotive trim parts
Thermoplastic-covered PU moulding
Soft-feel, thick-skinned moulding